The Salt Lick BBQ is a well-known BBQ restaurant located in Driftwood, Texas, just outside of Austin. In my opinion, the restaurant is the most famous BBQ restaurant in the world. The restaurant is known for its delicious meats, homemade sides, and friendly service. The atmosphere at Salt Lick is casual and laid-back, making it a great spot for a casual meal or a family outing.
The restaurant was founded by Thurman Roberts, Sr. in 1967. Originally, the restaurant was a simple outdoor pit where customers could come and enjoy barbecue meats cooked over an open fire. Today, the restaurant is a popular destination for barbecue lovers, known for its large portions and traditional Texas-style barbecue. The restaurant is also known for its unique setting, located on a ranch with outdoor seating and a large outdoor music stage, which features live music on weekends.
The opening hours of Salt Lick BBQ vary depending on the day of the week. Typically, the restaurant is open from 11 am to 9 pm on Monday through Thursday, 11 am to 10 pm on Friday and Saturday, and 11 am to 9 pm on Sunday. It’s advisable to check their official website or contact the restaurant directly for any changes or updates in their hours of operation.
Salt Lick BBQ Pitmaster
Scott Roberts is currently the pitmaster of Salt Lick BBQ. He is the grandson of the restaurant’s founder, Thurman Roberts, Sr., and has been working at the restaurant since he was a teenager. He is responsible for overseeing the smoking and cooking of the meats at the restaurant and is known for his expertise in traditional Texas-style barbecue. He also works with his family on continuing the legacy of the restaurant, which has become a Texas institution and a must-visit destination for barbecue lovers.
Salt Lick BBQ has received numerous awards and accolades throughout its history. Some of the awards and recognition the restaurant has received include:
- Texas Monthly magazine has named Salt Lick BBQ as one of the “Top 50 Barbecue Joints in Texas”
- Travel + Leisure magazine named Salt Lick BBQ as one of the “Best Barbecue Joints in America”
- Southern Living magazine named the restaurant as one of the “Best BBQ Joints in the South”
- The New York Times named Salt Lick BBQ as one of the “Top 10 Barbecue Restaurants in the United States”
- USA Today named Salt Lick BBQ as one of the “10 Best BBQ Joints in America”
- Food Network named the restaurant as one of the “Top 5 BBQ Joints in America”
- The Travel Channel named Salt Lick BBQ as one of the “Top 10 BBQ Joints in the United States”
The Salt Lick Menu
This amazing location is known for its traditional Texas-style barbecue, and the menu features a variety of meats cooked over an open pit, including beef brisket, pork ribs, sausage, chicken, and turkey. Some of the menu items that are available to try include:
- Beef brisket: Slow-smoked, hand-trimmed, and cooked over post oak wood.
- Pork ribs: Slow-smoked and cooked over post oak wood, available by the half or full rack.
- Sausage: Made in-house and available in beef or pork.
- Chicken: Marinated and slow-smoked over post oak wood.
- Turkey: Marinated and slow-smoked over post oak wood.
- Sandwiches: Available with beef brisket, pork ribs, sausage, chicken, or turkey.
- Side dishes: include coleslaw, potato salad, beans, macaroni and cheese, and more.
- Desserts: include pecan pie, banana pudding, and cobbler.
This restaurant is such an institution that people travel many hours to tuck into the food. We highly recommend a visit if you are making a trip to Austin. Want to check out other amazing restaurants selling world-class BBQ? Follow this link here.