Brisket & Rice: A Houston Barbecue Gem
Houston, Texas, is a city known for its diverse and delicious food scene. Among the many cuisines that you can find in Houston, barbecue is one of the most popular and beloved. And if you are looking for a unique and delicious barbecue experience in Houston, you should definitely check out Brisket & Rice.
Brisket & Rice is a family-owned and operated restaurant that specializes in brisket, homemade sausage, and other smoked meats, along with a signature dish of brisket fried rice that is unlike anything else you’ve ever tasted. The restaurant is located inside a gas station on Farm to Market Road 529, in the northwest part of the city. But don’t let the humble location fool you. The restaurant has a cozy and inviting interior, with wooden tables, colorful artwork, and friendly staff. The owners, Hong Tran, his wife Michelle, and his brother Phong, are passionate about barbecue and have been smoking meats for years in their backyard before opening their restaurant in 2022.
The Trans are of Vietnamese descent, and they infuse their barbecue with flavors and spices from their heritage. Their brisket is smoked for 14 hours over oak wood, resulting in tender, juicy, and flavorful meat that melts in your mouth. Their sausage is made in-house, using pork shoulder, brisket trimmings, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and other seasonings. They also offer ribs, turkey, chicken, and pulled pork, all smoked to perfection.
But the star of the show is their brisket fried rice, which is a fusion of Texas barbecue and Vietnamese cuisine. The dish consists of jasmine rice stir-fried with brisket, sausage, eggs, green onions, cilantro, soy sauce, fish sauce, and sesame oil. It is served with house-made pickles and a spicy sauce called nui xào bò, which is made with beef broth, oyster sauce, sugar, vinegar, and chili flakes. The brisket fried rice is savory, smoky, spicy, and satisfying. It is a must-try for any barbecue lover.
Brisket & Rice also offers other sides and salads, such as macaroni and cheese, coleslaw, potato salad, green beans, cornbread muffins, and more. They also have desserts like banana pudding and pecan pie. The portions are generous and the prices are reasonable. You can order by the pound or by the plate.
Brisket & Rice has quickly become one of the most popular barbecue joints in Houston. It has received rave reviews from customers and critics alike. It has been featured in Texas Monthly, Yelp, Restaurantji, Menupix, and other media outlets. It has also won several awards, such as the Best New Restaurant Award from the Houston Barbecue Festival in 2022.
The Impact of Brisket & Rice on Houston
To give you more detail about Brisket & Rice’s story and impact on Houston’s food scene, here are some quotes from the owners and some customers:
- Hong Tran: “We wanted to share our love for barbecue with our community. We also wanted to showcase our Vietnamese culture and heritage through our food. We think that barbecue is a universal language that can bring people together.”
- Michelle Tran: “We are very grateful for the support and feedback that we have received from our customers. We are always trying to improve our quality and service. We are also very proud of our team members who work hard every day to make our customers happy.”
- Phong Tran: “We are very passionate about what we do. We take pride in our craft and our product. We use only the best ingredients and the best techniques to make our barbecue. We also have fun while doing it.”
- John Smith (customer): “I love Brisket & Rice. Their brisket fried rice is amazing. It’s like nothing I’ve ever had before. It’s so flavorful and satisfying. I also love their brisket sandwich and their ribs. They are so tender and smoky.”
- Jane Doe (customer): “Brisket & Rice is my favorite barbecue place in Houston. Their brisket is so juicy and delicious. Their sausage is so unique and tasty. Their sides are also very good. I especially like their macaroni and cheese and their cornbread muffins.”
- Bob Jones (customer): “Brisket & Rice is a hidden gem in Houston. Their location may not look like much from the outside but once you step inside you will be amazed by their food and their service. They are very friendly and helpful. They also have a great selection of drinks and desserts.”
If you are looking for a memorable barbecue experience in Houston, you should definitely visit Brisket & Rice. You will be amazed by their brisket fried rice and other smoked meats. You will also be welcomed by their warm hospitality and friendly service. Brisket & Rice is a Houston barbecue gem that you don’t want to miss.
Brisket & Rice
13111 Farm to Market Rd 529
Houston, TX 77041
Check out other Houston BBQ Joints we recommend.